While enjoying the Etsy Craft Party a few months ago, there was a discussion about some of the bears and dolls I make. Melissa is one of the participants who is also a friend and has been in my Knit and Crochet Bible Study classes and other craft projects with me. She asked about doing a knit along of a bear.
So I looked at the various patterns I use and have come up with one that I think would be a fun project. This garter stitch bear is made from a free pattern.
To make this, you will need to know how to cast on, bind off and knit. The bear is made in garter stitch, which means knit every row. You will need to know how to increase using the knit in front and back of same stitch method. You will need to decrease by knitting 2 or 3 stitches together.
I will post ‘the next step’ every Sunday asking you to spend the week working on one part of the project. The first post will go up this Sunday, October 20, 2013.
1. Download the pattern (click here)
2. Gather your supplies – see my substitutions
- I used a skein of Red Yarn Yarn instead of the suggested yarn
- I did not sew the felt embellishments, I used Liquid Stitch
- I used size 3 knitting needles, which are 3.25mm – there is no 3mm US needle size.
3. Read through the pattern – we will discuss each part, make note of questions you have.
4. Check back here each week for the next step of the knit along.
Let’s have fun, knit your first bear and perhaps start your love of this type of project. You may even have completed a gift for someone special.